If it is implemented properly, personalization at scale can increase total watch time in case of an online video platform, which is a function of how many users there are, how often they come and how long they stay, while having positive impact on customer experience.
In addition, also conversion probabilities to subscribe and churn can be calculated, the models are updated in real-time, therefore they do not get obsolete. The higher the watch time the higher the probability that a subscriber will continue to be paying the monthly fee, and that an ad-hoc user will convert to subscriber.
Real-time content personalization
The personalization engine can automatically suggest relevant content, based on data about the visitor, or feeds data to another application for purposes of making changes to the presentation layer. These are additional elements on the site where one or more content pieces are displayed. The contents displayed and their order are defined by the personalization engine.
- Home Page “Recommended for you”
- Home Page – recommendations in highlighted topics (Watching now, Emmy Nominees 2019, Action movies, etc.)
- Video page, “Further Videos to Watch”
- Video page, “Related Movies”
- No result page, “Interesting”
- 404 page: … to redirect visitors to a valid site
Personalized content listings
Personal ordering of complete list of contents displayed on the site according the selected filtering criteria (e.g. contents from a selected section, or all contents matching a tag).
On-site personalization includes the ability to present personalized, on-screen content or messages to a visitor based on specific data gathered about the visitor. This also includes the functionality to adjust elements of the page based on visitor characteristics, and it applies to any page of the site, whether it’s the landing page or subsequent pages.
- Personalized carousel, which means selection of the most relevant carousel image for the given user in the main page carousel
- Personalized category ordering on the main page
- Personalized section ordering, which means modification of the order of main page sections, based on personal preference
- Personalized behavioral pop-ups, which means to display the most relevant pop-ups across the whole domain based on past behavior after a certain time period. E.g. popup to promote subscription package,
- Personalized welcome messages, which means displaying relevant welcome content on the main page or any landing pages,
- Personalized banners on the top or bottom of the page, which means to display banners depending on user behavior
Search personalization includes the ability to customize or modify search results as search terms, either as search terms are being typed or on the search result page. The functionalities of a full-fledged search engine are supported, which will provide additional advantages for customizing and personalizing the on-site search experience.
- Auto-complete, which means personalized search keyword recommendation based on proprietary algorithm,
- Instant recommendations below the search box, aka type-ahead search based on keyword matching and personalized recommendations,
- Personalized search result ordering, which means search result generated by Elasticsearch reordered by proprietary algorithm and click events on the previous search results
Mobile and Smart TV Personalization
All the modules: content recommendation, personalized content listing, personalized search and on-site personalization is recommended for mobile and Smart TV apps as well. Probably some adjustments are necessary due to the different form factor and due to differences in the UI, but the main features should be the same.
Personalization of marketing campaigns
Personalized email marketing
Email marketing can include transactional emails (like application confirmations, purchase receipts, account creation), relational emails (like new subscriber welcome, gated content delivery, blog articles, survey / review, social update, contest announcement, referral request) and promotional emails (like promotional content, sale announcement, new movie release, upgrade offers). Personalization engine can help to increase the efficiency of several of these emails by personalizing the content, or the offer, or the sending time.
Personalization engine is capable to apply this functionality to other channels as well such as SMS or push notification.
- Personalized content selection in a newsletter
- Email subject line personalization, which means to use the (short) title of recommended product in the e-mail subject line
- Email sending time personalization, which means sending time personalization based on the recipient’s response rate on past e-mails
Triggered emails and messages
This functionality is a category separate from email marketing, because it requires a specific trigger to trigger the email. It enables sending marketing messages to customers in real time as response to customer activities. Messages can be triggered by any incoming events if the event is synchronized with the personalization engine. Messages can be delivered by 3rd party applications through multiple channels like email, SMS, push notification. This functionality can be combined with personalized email marketing to personalize the content of the triggered emails.
- Triggered message sending by online events
- Triggered messages based on external events
Ad retargeting personalization
Personalization engine gathers data and use algorithms for recommendations and decisions, just like when provides on-site personalization. However, personalization engine takes the functionality a step further to personalize retargeting ads on third-party sites. In case of telecommunication companies, Ad retargeting works more effectively for known customers. The display of advertisements is typically done through an integration with a 3rd party ad server or DSP.
- Next best recommendations via dynamic banner Ad
Next best recommendations
Probability to subscribe and churn
Besides real time content personalization, calculation of probability to subscribe is also included in the offering.
- In comparison to pure personalization which is a ranking task, we do not provide just the ranking but also calibrated probabilities;
- In comparison to just an offline probability to buy estimation, our models are updated in real-time, therefore they do not get obsolete;
- The previous campaign setups in the personalization engine can be reused for the next campaigns, as only the target needs be redefined.
Probability of churn can be estimated as well.
Estimations for an item by touchpoints and each client
Next best recommendation probabilities can be estimated for several other attributes, as follows:
- Sending time of the messages;
- Email subject line;
- Different design elements, for example, background color;
- Variants of the same text, for example, discount in % or absolute number;
- Next best action;